Thursday, 7 July 2011

There is a Season

I have to keep reminding myself that in farm life, things move in seasons. While I might have excellent ideas for toys, clothes and repairs/building projects, this season needs to be about harvesting and preserving what we can. When I have an hour to work, I need to spend it outside, working on our few remaining plants.

Yes, I said it: Few remaining plants. Our peas and beans were decimated by a dreadful windstorm, leaving only the tomatoes and fruit trees. We have herb seedlings growing, and we're looking into late plants (is it too late to try for peas and beans again? What say you, gardening folk?) but a lot of the focus right now needs to be on preserving what plants we have and foraging.

The clover collection has been going well, (though if we don't get some rain soon, it won't for long) and soon I'll get out and get some pictures of our wild grapes, which are starting to grow. Nick swears he saw raspberries in the "back 40" too, though I have not. Accessing these plants involves trudging through an awful lot of poison ivy, so I'm trying to be patient about checking on them.

The pear trees are getting bitten by worms, so I need to wrap them, and maybe invest in some nematodes. We missed out on pruning time, but I'm confident I know when and how to do it next year. The cherry tree seems to be coming along rather slowly. This may just be due to the long winter we had. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get a decent harvest when the time comes.

Building attentions need to go towards the chicken coop, before our not-so-wee chicks outgrow the hutch and run they are in.

A solar dehydrator is in the plans, and then we'll be setting up a solar cooker workshop. We're also planning a cobb oven workshop, but I think that will happen when the weather is a little cooler (September, maybe? Must talk to the facilitator about that).

I'm not only a member of the Sesame Street generation, I've also grown up in a large, busy city. It's taking me some time to adjust to moving on Nature's schedule, but it is doing me some good, nonetheless.

-Deni

No comments:

Post a Comment