Monday, 11 July 2011

Ouch!



So I stepped on one of these on Saturday, as I was rushing around trying to get out the door for my family reunion. A moment of sting, and I thought I'd maybe stepped on some stinging nettle. I lifted my foot and buzzing around on the ground was a guy like this, half crushed and very angry. Then the pain really set in. I hobbled into the house and washed it thoroughly calling for Nick to tell me what the heck I'd stepped on. He identified my assailant as a "big ass hornet" and suggested a baking soda paste.

So I am totally a city girl and had never heard this simple home remedy before. Using the runoff from the ice cube I was already applying to keep the swelling down, we sprinkled some baking soda on the area and rubbed it into a paste. The baking soda drew out the venom, and soothed. Within a few minutes, my foot was entirely free from pain.

What home remedies for bites have you heard of? What else works? I might try this baking soda thing for the horrendous allergic mosquito bites Marie-Celeste suffers from. I'll let you know if it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment